It’s Earth Day 2023! Time to take Action! So why not start with your own personal beauty routine?
When it comes to ethical and sustainable beauty, one of the most important things you can do is research the ingredients that go into your products and what effects they may have on your body and the environment.
Here are a few tips for finding the best ethical, sustainable, products for your beauty routine:
1. Do your research. Take the time to read reviews and learn about the ingredients in each product. This will help you find products that are truly effective and sustainable.
2. Go for quality over quantity. It’s better to have a few high-quality products that will last you a long time, than to have a huge collection of products that you’ll need to replace often. For me, because I have my own brand of vegan mineral makeup, (Overall Beauty Minerals) I wear my own brand of eyeshadows and blushes. But I don’t offer mascara, but I have found that I am not wearing it enough to buy $30 mascara. I am still on the hunt for a superb all natural mascara, but a brand that is vegan if possible. If you got any ideas? Drop them in comments please!
3. Consider your needs. When you’re choosing products, think about what you actually need and what will work best for your skin type. There’s no need to buy products that you’ll never use.
4. Get creative. Don’t be afraid to experiment with different products and find new ways to use them. You might be surprised at how versatile some of them can be. There are eyeshadows that you can wear as a blush too. Or wear a bronzer instead of full face foundation. Depending on your needs, wearing less is better.
5. Ask for recommendations. If you’re not sure where to start, ask your friends or family for recommendations. They may have some great suggestions for products that you’ll love. IF you are not sure about a beauty product? Look for sustainable, cruelty-free, and all-natural brands. Read their reviews. Buying off a place like Etsy, could save you money, and you get to really know the person behind the beauty product they are offering. Just do your research to be sure they are based in your home country.
6. Only buy what you need and use what you have. I think this is the hardest thing to do. Its never fair when you are trying to save money and your favorite brand has a once a year sale!
One of the most important things you can do for an ethical, sustainable, and healthy beauty routine is to only buy what you need and use what you have. This may seem like common sense, but it’s easy to get caught up in the latest trends or be persuaded by marketing to buy products you don’t really need.
Before you make any new purchases, take inventory of what you have and see if there’s anything you can use up. Chances are, you have more than you think. Then, when you do need to buy something, only buy what you need and be sure to research sustainable and ethical options.
Sustainable living is becoming increasingly important as we face the realities of climate change. You can incorporate sustainable practices into your beauty routine in a number of ways, from choosing eco-friendly packaging to supporting fair trade and cruelty-free brands. Not only will this save you money in the long run, but it will also help you reduce your carbon footprint.
Your beauty routine is also a great opportunity to focus on your health. Be sure to read the labels on your products, avoiding those with harmful ingredients. Consider your carbon footprint and the impact of your purchases on the environment. And finally, make your routine your own – don’t be afraid to experiment and find what works best for you!
Check out Green Matters for all kinds of tips to make Earth Day all year around!