I am over 60, so I got to thinking, what have I been doing to help myself stay looking younger as much as possible the natural way? So here are my own personal tips.
As we age; that is just a fact, we can’t stop, which just means our skin and hair will change. That shouldn’t stop us from looking good and feeling our best.
Here are a few beauty tips for anyone over the age of 50 that I thought were important in my eyes:
1. Protect your skin: Really, you should be wearing sunscreen all your life, but even more so as we age. Protect your skin from the sun by using a sunscreen with at least SPF 30 or higher every day, even on cloudy days and even indoors. This can help prevent sun damage, which can lead to wrinkles, age spots, and other signs of aging.
L’Oreal Paris has an amazing one you can get off Amazon that comes with samples of other anti-aging products you can try!
2. Hydrate yourself: Drink plenty of water to keep your skin hydrated and firm. Moisturize your skin daily to prevent dryness and maintain a healthy glow. I can tell when I haven’t been drinking enough water, my skin starts looking a bit dryer, and that isn’t a good look. I also use a very good moisturizer for my skin. You want the type that will plump up any fine lines you might have started seeing.
3. Consider your hair color: As we age, our hair can lose pigment and turn gray. Consider a hair color that matches your skin tone and facial features. These days, it doesn’t matter your age when it comes to hair color. Some like to rock that totally white hair, or totally gray. Others like to stick to the color they are used to seeing all the time.
As a natural blonde myself, I can’t see myself with anything but light blonde hair, even though the natural color has changed some over the years, to a darker mousy blonde. 🙁 I am honest, I have started to go with a more golden blonde, that I dyed myself. Any darker than that? Just looks wrong. But I have a sister who is a year younger than me, and she is dying her hair too dark, and it makes her look older than she is. So hair color matters, but it’s still a highly personal choice.
4. Highlight your eyes: Use makeup to highlight your eyes, which can make you look younger and more vibrant. Consider using mascara, eyeliner, and eye shadow to highlight your eyes. Do not keep lining your eyes all the way around with black eyeliner! It makes your eyes look older and smaller. Check out Overall Beauty Minerals for all kinds of beautiful highlighters and all natural eyeshadows and blushes!
If you wear false eyelashes? Go easy on the length and thickness. I was watching TV the other day and saw someone who I couldn’t pay attention to what she was saying because you could tell she had work done, by the way her face didn’t move, but she had false eyelashes so long and thick, you couldn’t even see her eyes! Just those eyelashes! It was scary looking, and on a TV news show no less!!
5. Take care of your teeth: Keep your teeth healthy and white by brushing and flossing regularly, and consider professional whitening treatments if you wish. I take care of my teeth, but I have a friend who ended up getting all her teeth pulled and had a whole new set put in, all because she never took care of her teeth. The cost of her dental work was thousands of dollars!! Don’t give the dentist a reason to pull your teeth. 😛
Sometimes the best way to care for your teeth is to invest in a good toothbrush! Getting a power battery one will for sure help keep your teeth look their best! This is one of the best brands out there, and once you buy it once, all you need is batteries and new brush heads!
6. Stay active: Exercise regularly to maintain muscle tone and improve circulation, which can help you look and feel better. To be honest, this is something I need to do more of. So I work at it, walking is the best thing to do if you do not go to the gym.
7. Embrace your natural beauty: Above all, remember to embrace your natural beauty and focus on feeling confident and comfortable in your skin. No matter who we are, taking charge of how you look and feel is your choice. Stand proud, and just be yourself. Once you are over 50? Do you really care what others think? Or are you just over all that drama?
These tips can help you look and feel better as you age. Remember to take care of yourself inside and out, and prioritize self-care as you navigate the changes that come with aging.